Frequently Asked Questions
Team Iowa is made up of athletes who are transplant recipients, living donors, donor families and donation supporters who participate in the Transplant Games of America. Below are answers to some frequently asked questions about Team Iowa and the Transplant Games. More information about the Games can also be found on the Transplant Games of America FAQs page.
Any organ transplant recipient age 2 – 80+ who is at least nine months post-transplant by the start of the Games may participate. Bone marrow, tissue and corneal recipients and living donors may also participate. The 5K race is open to everyone.
You don’t have to be super athletic to compete! Recipients of all ages and athletic ability are encouraged to participate. You can select your events depending on your fitness level and skills. This is about celebrating life and honoring your donor. (Please note: a medical waiver must be signed by your doctor to participate.)
Living donors are definitely welcome at the Transplant Games! There is a separate category for living donors to compete in athletic and non-athletic events. Additionally, there will be a program to honor living donors and donor families, open to all who attend.
Donor families will have the opportunity to meet other donor families and transplant recipients, and participate in all special events, workshops and activities that celebrate the heartfelt act of giving the “Gift of Life”. There will also be an inspiring donor family program for all to attend and pay tribute to donors and their families. The Games celebrate the legacy of both living and deceased donors.
Registration information will be available on the Transplant Games of America website. Costs can vary depending on your travel and lodging preferences. Team fundraising may help offset some costs depending on how much money is raised.
- Fill out a membership application and provide information to complete a background screening.
- Fill out an individual profile form to share your story in the Team Iowa Directory.
- Attend all Team Iowa meetings.
- Secure sponsorship and funds for Team Iowa ($750.00 minimum goal per athlete). Fundraising provides funding for continuing the mission of Team Iowa and helps offset the costs of attending the Games.
- Volunteer at Team Iowa and community events leading up to the Games.
- Share your personal story with your community to encourage support for donation and transplantation and to increase the number of those who register as a donor.
- Cheer on and support fellow teammates at the Transplant Games!
- For more information, please see the Team Iowa Handbook.
Team Iowa is supported by Iowa Donor Network, a non-profit organization that transforms lives through organ and tissue donation in Iowa. Tax-deductible contributions can be made to Team Iowa through Iowa Donor Network. All contributions support our team’s participation in the Transplant Games of America and Iowa Donor Network’s mission.
To mail a contribution to Team Iowa, please send a check made payable to Iowa Donor Network to the address below. If this contribution is in support of a Team Iowa athlete, please include their name with the donation.
Iowa Donor Network
c/o Team Iowa
550 Madison Avenue
North Liberty, IA 52317