Organizations like IDN work daily to identify eligible donors and make organs and tissue available to people waiting for lifesaving and life-enhancing transplants. View the information and link on this page to see how we’re addressing this challenge to give hope and life to people in need.
Stats and Facts
- Every 9 minutes a new person is added to the national organ transplant waiting list.
- An average of 17 people die each day while waiting.
- On average, 112 transplants take place everyday in the U.S.
- In 2021, the lives of nearly 41,000 Americans were saved by organ donation.
- One donor can save up to 8 lives through organ donation and save and heal 50 – 300 lives through tissue donation.
- Every driver’s education class in Iowa must have one educational session on organ, tissue, and eye donation for their students.
View the Latest Donation Statistics
Iowa Donor Network’s Donation Activity for 2021
Local and National Waiting List as of 2/1/22
National Organ Waiting List: 106,591
Iowa Organ Waiting List: 611
Iowa Organ Waiting List by Organ as of 2/1/22
Heart – 23
Lungs – 12
Liver – 36
Kidney – 518
Kidney/Pancreas – 20
Pancreas – 2