Organizations like IDN work daily to identify eligible donors and make organs and tissue available to people waiting for lifesaving and life-enhancing transplants. View the information and link on this page to see how we’re addressing this challenge to give hope and life to people in need.
Stats and Facts
- Every 10 minutes a new person is added to the national organ transplant waiting list.
- An average of 20 people die each day while waiting.
- On average, 92 transplants take place everyday in the U.S.
- In 2020, the lives of nearly 40,000 Americans were saved by organ donation.
- In 2020, 5,726 living donors gave the gift of life.
- One donor can save up to 8 lives through organ donation and save and heal more than 200 lives through tissue donation.
- Every driver’s education class in Iowa must have one educational session on organ, tissue and eye donation for their students.
View the Latest Donation Statistics
Iowa Donor Network’s Donation Activity for 2020
Local and National Waiting List as of 6/1/2021
National Organ Waiting List: 107,447
Iowa Organ Waiting List: 583
Iowa Organ Waiting List by Organ as of 6/1/2021
Heart – 26
Lungs – 11
Liver – 40
Kidney – 491
Kidney/Pancreas – 14
Pancreas – 1