Organizations like IDN work daily to identify eligible donors and make organs and tissue available to people waiting for lifesaving and life-enhancing transplants. View the information and link on this page to see how we’re addressing this challenge to give hope and life to people in need.
Stats and Facts
- Every 10 minutes a new person is added to the national organ transplant waiting list.
- An average of 22 people die each day while waiting.
- On average, 81 transplants take place everyday in the U.S.
- In 2014, the lives of 29,532 Americans were saved by organ donation.
- One donor can save up to 8 lives through organ donation and save and heal more than 50 lives through tissue donation.
- Every driver’s education class in Iowa must have one educational session on organ, tissue and eye donation for their students.
View the Latest Donation Statistics
Iowa Donor Network’s Donation Activity as of 02/01/16
Organ Donors: 4
Organs Recovered for Transplant: 8
Tissue Donors: 64
Local and National Waiting List as of 02/01/16
National Organ Waiting List: 121,545
Iowa Organ Waiting List: 604
Iowa Organ Waiting List by Organ as of 02/01/16
Heart – 35
Lungs – 8
Liver – 15
Kidney – 531
Kidney/Pancreas – 13
Pancreas – 2