Employment Type: Part Time
Department: Embalming and Reconstruction
Exemption Status: Non-Exempt
OSHA Category: I
Our organization is dedicated to transforming lives and inspiring all to donate life. We are a family of professionals working together to increase awareness around the need for organ and tissue donors alongside nurturing and guiding our families throughout the gift of life. We facilitate the recovery of organs, tissues, and corneas in Iowa. We honor donors and support donor families at the time of donation and on a continuing basis.
We believe in going above and beyond to support donor families during and after the donation process. Our core values are what guide us, allow us to excel at serving our community, and keep our culture at Iowa Donor Network alive.
Responsible for assisting in the embalming of donors while remaining in compliance with industry standards and IDN policies and procedures.
Job Qualifications:Must be currently enrolled in accredited mortuary science program.
- Five, 12-hour weekend shifts per month
- Rotating on call schedule
Essential Functions and Performance Responsibilities:
• Assist in the embalming and reconstruction of donors as assigned
• Assist in maintaining cleanliness in the embalming room
• Assist with stocking of supplies
• Assist with donor transportation to and from designated establishments and IDN facilities
• Follow Iowa Board of Mortuary Science regulations and IDN policies and procedures
• Actively participate in scheduled meetings and training sessions
• Respond to emails as requested within seven (7) business days
• Respond to call within 10 minutes and arrive to office within one hour of call or as assigned
• May be called in to assist during peak activity when not scheduled
• Work a rotational on call schedule with extended hours
• Work a minimum of 5, 12-hour weekend shifts per month
Skills and Abilities:
• Maintain a current and valid driver’s license and be insurable through IDN’s insurance
• Ability to use computer software such as excel, word, spreadsheets and email
• Ability to coordinate and collaborate in a team environment
• Proven ability to be self directed and work independently
• Effectively communicate via multiple channels with external partners while representing IDN
• Proven ability to successfully perform tasks using attention to detail
• Effective problem-solving skills and demonstrated ability to use critical thinking skills
• Willingness to learn and ask questions
• Comfortable taking and applying direction from team members
• Must receive required vaccines based on outlined schedules to protect our employees, healthcare personnel, donors, recipients, and families we may come into contact. (e.g., Influenza obtained annually by December 1st and COVID vaccine upon required timeline.)
• Lift equipment and supplies weighing up to 50 lbs
• Assist with physical lifting of donors
• Stand for a long duration of time in an embalming room environment
• Stooping, kneeling, reaching, and handling (seizing, holding, grasping, turning or otherwise working with hands)
• Handling of sharp surgical instruments which may cause damage or injury if used incorrectly
• Mental and visual fatigue associated with detailed work and long hours
• Travel through the state of Iowa at any given hour of the day or night
• Driving vehicles during various weather and physical conditions that may lead to visual and mental fatigue
• Exposure to biohazardous materials such as blood, other body fluids, communicable diseases and formaldehyde. Standard universal precautions and use of personal protective equipment required
It is required that IDN employees demonstrate commitment to the mission and vision, maintain effective communication, exhibit teamwork, respect diversity, follow policies and procedures, maintain confidentiality of all donor, recipient and organizational information, demonstrate accuracy and thoroughness while meeting productivity standards, observe safety and security procedures, be consistently punctual and dependable, actively participate in performance improvement activities and continually demonstrate behavioral expectations and core values.
Employee’s obligation to maintain the confidentiality of information shall survive the termination of employee’s employment with IDN.
All requirements are subject to modifications to reasonably accommodate individuals with disabilities. This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed in this position. I will be required to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform any other job-related duties requested by my supervisor. Requirements are representative of minimum levels of knowledge, skills and/or abilities. To perform this job successfully, I know that I must possess the abilities or aptitudes to perform each duty proficiently. I realize neither the job description nor this document creates an employment contract, implied or otherwise, other than an “at will” employment relationship.