Location: Altoona OR North Liberty
Employment Type: Part-Time
Department: Embalming & Reconstruction
Exemption Status: Non-Exempt
OSHA Category: I
Our organization is dedicated to transforming lives and inspiring all to donate life. We are a family of professionals working together to increase awareness around the need for organ and tissue donors alongside nurturing and guiding our families throughout the gift of life. We facilitate the recovery of organs, tissues, and corneas in Iowa. We honor donors and support donor families at the time of donation and on a continuing basis.
We believe in going above and beyond to support donor families during and after the donation process. Our core values are what guide us, allow us to excel at serving our community, and keep our culture at Iowa Donor Network alive.
Responsible for transportation, embalming and reconstruction of donors in compliance with industry standards and IDN policies and procedures.
COVID vaccine required upon hire
- Degree in mortuary science with a current Iowa license
- A minimum of one year licensed embalming experience required
- Post donation embalming experience preferred
- Minimum of 5, 12-hour weekend shifts per month
- Work a rotating, on call schedule. 12 hour shifts. 0600-1800 or 1800-0600
Essential Functions and Performance Responsibilities:
- Perform the embalming process and reconstruction of donors.
- Follow Iowa Board of Mortuary Science regulations and IDN policies and procedures.
- Transport donors to and from designated establishments.
- Confirm donor identity according to IDN policies and procedures.
- Perform training with new Funeral Director staff and/or students.
- Actively participate in scheduled meetings and trainings to maintain proficiency in embalming and reconstruction process.
- Respond to calls within 10 minutes of receiving and arrive at the office within an hour of call or when specified.
- Work a rotating, on call schedule.
- May be called in during peak times when not on the schedule.
- Work a minimum of 5, 12-hour weekend shifts per month.
Skills and Abilities:
- Maintain a current and valid driver’s license and be insurable through IDN’s insurance.
- Ability to use computer software such as excel, word, spreadsheets and email.
- Ability to coordinate and collaborate in a team environment.
- Proven ability to be self-directed and work independently.
- Effectively communicate via multiple channels with external partners while representing IDN.
- Proven ability to successfully perform tasks using high attention to detail.
- Effective problem-solving skills and demonstrated ability to use critical thinking skills.
- Willingness to learn and ask questions.
- Must receive required vaccines based on outlined schedules to protect our employees, healthcare personnel, donors, recipients, and families we may come into contact. (e.g., Influenza obtained annually by December 1st and COVID vaccine upon required timeline.)
- Lift equipment and supplies weighing up to 50 lbs.
- Assist with physical lifting of donors.
- Stand for a long duration of time in an embalming room environment.
- Stooping, kneeling, reaching, and handling (seizing, holding, grasping, turning or otherwise working with hands).
- Handling of sharp surgical instruments which may cause damage or injury if used incorrectly.
- Mental and visual fatigue associated with detailed work and long hours.
- Travel through the state of Iowa at any given hour of the day or night.
- Driving vehicles during various weather and physical conditions that may lead to visual and mental fatigue.
- Exposure to biohazardous materials such as blood, other body fluids, communicable diseases and formaldehyde.
It is required that IDN employees demonstrate commitment to the mission and vision, maintain effective communication, exhibit teamwork, respect diversity, follow policies and procedures, maintain confidentiality of all donor, recipient and organizational information, demonstrate accuracy and thoroughness while meeting productivity standards, observe safety and security procedures, be consistently punctual and dependable, actively participate in performance improvement activities and continually demonstrate behavioral expectations and core values.
Employee’s obligation to maintain the confidentiality of information shall survive the termination of employee’s employment with IDN.
All requirements are subject to modifications to reasonably accommodate individuals with disabilities. This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed in this position. I will be required to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform any other job-related duties requested by my supervisor. Requirements are representative of minimum levels of knowledge, skills and/or abilities. To perform this job successfully, I know that I must possess the abilities or aptitudes to perform each duty proficiently. I realize neither the job description nor this document creates an employment contract, implied or otherwise, other than an “at will” employment relationship.