Employment Type: Full Time
Department: Organ Utilization
Exemption Status: Exempt
OSHA Category: III
Our organization is dedicated to transforming lives and inspiring all to donate life. We are a family of professionals working together to increase awareness around the need for organ and tissue donors alongside nurturing and guiding our families throughout the gift of life. We facilitate the recovery of organs, tissues, and corneas in Iowa. We honor donors and support donor families at the time of donation and on a continuing basis.
We believe in going above and beyond to support donor families during and after the donation process. Our core values are what guide us, allow us to excel at serving our community, and keep our culture at Iowa Donor Network alive.
The Organ Utilization Specialist directs the allocation of organs from organ donors to potential transplant centers and coordinates import organ offers on behalf of transplant centers.
- A minimum of a three-year degree in a healthcare-related field.
- Minimum six months’ direct experience with organ donation or transplant.
- Registered Nurse, Perfusionist or Paramedic with critical care exposure preferred
- CPTC, CCTN, CCTC, or CTP certification preferred.
- Night Shift: set, rotational schedule, 6 pm to 6 am CST.
- Weekends and holidays required.
- Some training may take place on day shift
Essential Functions and Performance Responsibilities:
• Direct the allocation process and inspire utilization of organs from Iowa Donor Network organ donors.
• Coordinate organ import offer screening and acceptance on behalf of transplant programs.
• Identify, document, and communicate required clinical information to Iowa Donor Network team members and transplant center staff.
• Document clinical and logistical information in the donor record accurately and concurrently.
• Participate in departmental meetings, educational activities, quality assurance initiatives, and required training as assigned.
Skills and Abilities:
• A strong desire to transform something good into something great.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills and can thoroughly portray information with confidence and enthusiasm.
• An ability to listen to transplant center and OPO customers to set and meet expectations.
• A strong ability to shift rapidly from task to task and effective problem-solving skills.
• Adaptability to shift with changes and ability to excel under time constraints.
• Strong initiative and ability to work independently and collaboratively with key team members.
• Experience with medical interpretation of lab values, diagnostic testing, and terminology.
• Ability to acknowledge, respond, and document import offers within 30 minutes.
• Ability to express ideas verbally and convey detailed or important spoken information.
• Strong working knowledge of Microsoft Office applications. Proven skill and competent using technology-based devices such as personal computers and related software, and mobile phones.
• Must receive required vaccines based on outlined schedules to protect our employees, healthcare personnel, donors, recipients, and families we may come into contact. (e.g., Influenza obtained annually by December 1st and COVID vaccine upon required timeline.)
• Must be able to sit for periods of 12 hours or more at a time.
• At peak times, may be called to provide assistance when not scheduled.
• Lift equipment and supplies weighing up to 20 lbs.
• Receive detailed information through oral and auditory communication.
It is required that IDN employees demonstrate commitment to the mission and vision, maintain effective communication, exhibit teamwork, respect diversity, follow policies and procedures, maintain confidentiality of all donor, recipient and organizational information, demonstrate accuracy and thoroughness while meeting productivity standards, observe safety and security procedures, be consistently punctual and dependable, actively participate in performance improvement activities and continually demonstrate behavioral expectations and core values.
Employee’s obligation to maintain the confidentiality of information shall survive the termination of employee’s employment with IDN.
All requirements are subject to modifications to reasonably accommodate individuals with disabilities. This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed in this position. I will be required to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform any other job-related duties requested by my supervisor. Requirements are representative of minimum levels of knowledge, skills and/or abilities. To perform this job successfully, I know that I must possess the abilities or aptitudes to perform each duty proficiently. I realize neither the job description nor this document creates an employment contract, implied or otherwise, other than an “at will” employment relationship.